Sunday, May 31, 2009

Dad's treasure box

So after church today, Hailey was reading the friend magazine and then started to ask me some questions of what I liked to do when I was a kid. Boy that was tough to remember everything, so I said, wait a minute, and I went and got my big box out of the garage that was labeled "elementary" for that time period in my life. All the kids huddled around me as I opened this mysterious box. They wanted to start pulling everything out, but I held their attention, as I pulled items out one by one. My memories raced back to me as I pulled items and pictures out and would recount to the children what I was doing, or how I made something, or what it meant to me. They thought it was so cool. Jackson liked my scout knife.

Hailey was intrigued by a school journal we found, so I decided I would read that to them at night in the hall as they are going to sleep. A tradition that we do. One part of my journal that we had read though talked about how if I could meet anyone, it would be Pres. Ezra Taft Benson. I was 13 yrs old when I was writing this. Another entry talked about how I bore my testimony for the second time that year, which was accomplishing a goal that I had set for myself. Another entry talked about how I hated Science class and wasn't doing very well at it.

Mom(Ellen) was fascinated by some of my pictures I drew, but mostly my hand writing. It was cursive and very neat! She asked, "Where did it go?". I showed Preston some of my favorite hotwheels that I used to love to play with, and many fun pictures of me with freckles, and really blonde hair. We also found some printed money that I had recieved that was in sequential order(They were all impressed that I had saved my money that long). The kids thought it was great, and we had a lot of fun. I had a great time looking back and thinking about what those experiences and days were like. What good memories. Thanks to Mom Smedley for keeping all of these important little memories for me, so now we can look back on them together.

No comments: